In astrology, no concept is as much misunderstood and misinterpreted as in case of Kuja Dosha which is also called Mangal Dosha or Mars Dosha. As astrology lovers or even as students of astrology, you must know certain things about it.
What is Kuja Dosha?
Kuja Dosha is caused when, in your natal chart, Mars ( Kuja / Mangal ) is situated in houses 2, 12, 4, 7 or 8 from ascendant (Lagna ) or Janma Rasi ( Moon Sign ) or Venus.
The intensity of Kuja Dosha would be normal when it is caused in houses 2, 4 or 12.
The intensity would be higher if it is caused in houses 7 or 8 as house 7 is the most powerful Kendra and house 8 is house of longevity.
Again, the intensity of Kuja Dosha would be highest when it is caused from Lagna. The intensity would come down if it is caused from Moon sign. It would come down further when it is caused from Venus.
Why Mars placement in the above houses causes Dosha?
1. Mars is the most natural malefic planet
2. House 2 is a house of family affairs and wealth
3. House 4 is a house of domestic happiness and mind
4. House 12 is a house of bed comforts
5. House 7 is a house of marriage
6. House 8 is a house of longevity
As Mars is the most natural planet, its presence in the above house would be harmful to the characteristic represented by the houses. If it is placed in house 2, there may be disturbance in family life. When it is in 4, you may be robbed of your happiness. In 8, there may be premature death. In 12, you may lose your bed comforts due to impurity in relations. And in 7, there may be a calamity in married life.
However, this is highly misunderstood by people who campaigned that Kuja Dosha kills husband after marriage if the Dosha is there in the chart of the wife or wife if the Dosha is there in the chart of the husband. This is not correct as death of a person is dependent on the planetary positions of his / her own chart and not on somebody’s chart. Nowhere such a thing is taught in astrology.
Whoever did the campaign, they have conveniently forgotten to talk about the other malefic planets after Mars. Like Mars, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu and Sun are also malefic in order of priority. But a campaign was launched against Mars only leaving the other malefic planets. It must be noted that like Mars, the presence of other malefic planets in the above said houses also causes Dosha, though in lower intensity.
Exemptions for Kuja Dosha
There are exemptions to the above said principle of Kuja Dosha. The following are some of important exemptions.
1. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars is situated in Gemini or Virgo in House 2.
2. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars is situated in Taurus or Libra in House 12.
3. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars is situated in Aries or Scorpio in House 4.
4. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars is situated in Cancer or Capricorn in House 7.
5. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars is situated in Sagittarius or Pieces in House 8.
6. There is no Kuja Dosha if Moon is in any Kendra house i.e. 4,7 or 10.
7. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars is placed in Leo or Aquarius
8. There is no Kuja Dosha if Moon and Mars are situated together.
9. There is no Kuja Dosha if Moon and Venus are situated together in House 2.
10. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars and Jupiter are in conjunction or Mars is under the aspect of most natural benefic planet Jupiter.
11. There is no Kuja Dosha if Rahu is situated in any Kendra House.
12. There is no Kuja Dosha if Mars and Rahu are in conjunction in any house.
Next topic: How to compare horoscopes for marriage if Kuja Dosha and other Doshaa are present in charts.